Free weekly collection for farmers and agribusinesses focuses number of matters
The Michigan State College Extension Subject Crops Digital Breakfast collection will kick off the brand new rising season on Thursday, March 30, 2023. (Courtesy Picture)
EAST LANSING, Mich. — The Michigan State College Extension Subject Crops Digital Breakfast collection will kick off the brand new rising season on Thursday, March 30, 2023.
In 2018, previous to the spring rising season, farmers requested for a program that offered the most recent details about subject crop manufacturing in a concise and well timed format. Because of this, the Digital Breakfast collection started modestly with a bunch of farmers, agribusiness professionals, educators and MSU subject crop specialists. This collection has grown and advanced right into a 26-week webinar collection offering the most recent research-based info on climate, potential pest challenges, crop administration, soil fertility and soil well being.
Farming is a occupation that requires a specific amount of religion regarding issues past our management corresponding to climate, potential pests and crop costs. For administration choices which are inside our management, protecting updated with the most recent college suggestions supplies a possibility for elevated data and improved manufacturing effectivity resulting in added crop income financial savings.
MSU Extension will host the Digital Breakfast collection each Thursday from March 30 by Sept. 21, 7 a.m. to eight a.m. EST. The Digital Breakfast is stay through Zoom. Farmers, agribusiness personnel, and others excited about agriculture can work together with MSU Extension specialists and educators to get solutions for his or her questions.
An additional advantage is that Michigan pesticide applicators can simply accumulate sufficient restricted use pesticide (RUP) credit throughout the season to recertify their credential. Every breakfast is value one RUP credit score (1A, 1B, Comm or Personal Core) for pesticide applicators or one persevering with schooling unit (CEU) for Licensed Crop Advisors (CCA). RUP and CCA credit are solely obtainable for stay contributors.
“It’s tremendous handy to take heed to within the cab of a tractor throughout the busy seasons, and even at dwelling on the sofa throughout the much less hectic instances! Being a younger farmer, a ton of this info is efficacious and particularly fascinating to share with my dad and mom as we proceed to develop all through the years!” – 2022 VIRTUAL BREAKFAST PARTICIPANT
Subjects are loosely established originally of the collection primarily based on historic tendencies. Nonetheless, the Digital Breakfast collection is versatile, fluid and capable of adapt when points come up as a consequence of unexpected rising circumstances. Every week includes a well timed, 15-minute presentation from an MSU specialist adopted by Jeff Andresen, MSU Extension state climatologist, presenting a 15-minute climate abstract and forecast. Following the climate, contributors obtain the data to use for one RUP credit score (1A, 1B, Comm or Priv Core) and/or Licensed Crop Advisors CEU.
After RUP and CCA credit score info, attendees can go away or keep on for a much less formal dialogue with farmers, educators and specialists that lasts till 8 a.m. Along with the scheduled speaker for the day, different MSU campus specialists and educators with subject crops accountability are incessantly a part of the decision and can be found to reply any query associated to related circumstances occurring of their space.
“Nice, well timed and topical info. If something, it’s good to consider these matters round completely different seasonal actions.” – 2022 VIRTUAL BREAKFAST PARTICIPANT
Collaborating is straightforward and free! You may be a part of the stay assembly through Zoom utilizing a pc, pill, cellular gadget or common cellphone line. In case you are new to Zoom, merely obtain the Zoom app and you’ll be prepared to hitch on-line each week to see visuals shared by presenters. A call-in by cellphone choice can be obtainable however observe that you’ll solely hear the audio portion.
Individuals should signal as much as obtain an e mail notification with directions for becoming a member of the Digital Breakfast. You solely want to do that as soon as to obtain the Zoom hyperlink and call-in cellphone quantity, in addition to weekly reminders each Wednesday and Thursday. Individuals receiving emails can choose in or out at any time.
Signal as much as obtain Digital Breakfast Zoom info
- 7:00 – 7:15 a.m. — Scheduled matter by MSU specialists and educators
- 7:15 – 7:30 a.m. — Climate with Jeff Andresen
- 7:30 – 7:35 a.m. — RUP and CCA credit
- 7:35 – 8:00 a.m. — Q&A with MSU specialists and educators
Scheduled matters by date
- March 30 — Early Season Weed Management
- April 6 — Soil Fertility Concerns Corn Soy Wheat
- April 13 — Alfalfa Planting Suggestions
- April 20 — Corn and Soybean Planting Concerns
- April 27 — Postemergence Weed Management
- Might 4 — Wheat Foliar and Head Scab Administration
- Might 11 — Soybeans and N Purposes
- Might 18 — Dry Bean Planting
- Might 25 — Plant & Pest Diagnostics – Know Your Issues
- June 1 — Wildlife Administration
- June 8 — Sizzling Subjects Q&A Session
- June 15 — White Mildew Administration in Soybean
- June 22 — Equipping Working Sprayers in Soybeans
- June 29 — Cercospora Leaf Spot Administration in Sugar Beets
- July 6 — Methods for Environment friendly Irrigation Water Use
- July 13 — Cowl Crops After Wheat
- July 20 — Tar Spot
- July 27 — Standing of Bt Resistance
- Aug. 3 — Farm & Truck Automobile Rules and Security
- Aug. 10 — Methods to Get the Greatest Out of Your Drainage System
- Aug. 17 — Sizzling Subjects Q&A Session
- Aug. 24 — Timing the Final Irrigation Software
- Aug. 31 — Setting the Stage for Report Breaking Wheat Yields
- Sept. 7 — Advertising Your Grain Crops
- Sept. 14 — Monitoring Nematode Resistance in Soybeans
- Sept. 21 — Fall Weed Management
When you can’t take part within the stay session at 7 a.m., you possibly can view the recorded model at any time. Nonetheless, solely the stay session will likely be eligible for RUP and CCA credit. Recordings will likely be closed-captioned and obtainable on the Subject Crops Digital Breakfast web site and the MSU Extension subject crops crew social media platforms: Fb, Spotify, YouTube, Apple Podcasts and Twitter.
In case you are unable to enroll on-line, name the Lapeer County MSU Extension workplace at 810-667-0341.
— Michigan State College Extension